Prime Minister/Moderator
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator
close
  • Joined APC
    Jan 2006
  • Position
    Engines Turn Or People Swim
You do NOT want to lie to the federal government...not only can the revoke your medical and pilot certs when they find out, they can send to prison.

So basically you need to figure out if the situation is reportable to FAA Aeromedical. Keep in mind that the FAA makes NO, ZERO, ZIP allowance for the reporting of juvenile vs. adult medical and criminal issues....they ask "have you ever" they mean exactly that: "Ever"

They need info on your medical and substance abuse history for obvious reasons. They ask about criminal activity because a first class medical will generally require that you be "of good moral character" and criminla behavior may indicate underlying mental illness.

With that said, they are pretty rational about evaluating most individuals...they are certainly smart enough to know the difference between youthful misbehavior and and adult criminal activity. The fact that you have your act together now will help...especially if you have good grades.

The substance rehab is another issue, I don't think they will give extra credit" because you were young...they only care that you have gotten over it.

As to whether you have to report it, read the medical form carefully (I don't have the new one handy). I'm pretty sure that rehab will be covered under mental, substance, or health care provider visit questions.

For what you describe, the FAA will not "ban" you from flying, worst case they will probably just require some follow up evaluation with an appropriate doctor (at your expense).

I strongly suggest you don't lie...the fact that you did rehab is probably know to your friends and family, you could spend the rest of your career hoping it never comes out.