View Single Post
Old 07-05-2010, 07:34 PM
NoseUpAttitude
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2009
Position: Private Pilot

Originally Posted by Oldog View Post
you may have insurance issues on the airplane, you may have difficulty finding a good instructor to give training in a private airplane, if (heaven forbid) your instructor gets injured in your airplane you could have some REAL insurance issues . . . I think you're better off using a flight school's airplanes
What about flying club owned airplanes? Reason I'm asking is because I joined a private flying club to get access to a IFR Cessna 172N (160hp) for $69/hr and a IFR Cessna 182 (235hp) for $95 wet, Hobbs time. Plus $80/mo dues. My FBO that I found my CFII at is renting a 172SP (180hp) for $125 and a Cherokee 140 for $100/hr. I like the club because I can actually take the plane and some friends on a week long cross country trip with no daily minimum of flown hours if I wanted to. Couldn't do that with the FBO planes.

I joked with my CFII that I should be paying him cash under the table instead of going through the FBO. I'm sure he is fine with flying in a privately own airplane or otherwise he wouldn't be doing it. And the FBO charges $1 extra per hour for instruction if you bring your airplane instead of flying one of theirs.