Thread: CFI Ride Tips
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2010, 05:11 PM
eishinsnsayshin
On Reserve

Joined APC: May 2010
Position: CFI

I agree with all the above points! Great point on the "keep it short" technique. I'll expand on that though. You do need to be a little careful by differentiating between answering a question and teaching. Any commercial checkride type questions I would answer as concisely as I can. Just make sure you know if you're being asked to test your raw technical knowledge, or if you are supposed to treat the examiner as a student. You've probably been critiqued during your CFI training for not starting primitive enough on certain questions. Know what I mean?

As for my ride: Took it with the FAA. 2 examiners (one was new to the district and needed to go through "training"...which means a nightmare for me). The oral was about 4 hours...maybe not even that long, but that is what I expected. Did a surprising amount of FOI-many scenarios regarding different types of students, their actions, and what to do with them (ex: short tempered impatient students, cocky students who are much older than you with more "life experience", students who lose their cool during stall training, etc...). We went over aerodynamics quite a bit as well (how the elevator and trim tabs work, newtonian lift concept, bernoulli lift, etc). Remember with mx logs to show ALL logs (like the prop. log). Nothing else stuck out to me. There was the obvious stuff like endorsements. Remember this isn't really a commercial checkride. Hopefully all the raw technical gory stuff stuck with you. This is a "teacher's" test, and that's how the FAA seemed to conduct it. Big emphasis on your teaching approach and teaching things in different ways. Not too many questions like "at what voltage does the overvoltage relay kick in?"

One last thing I'll add. We both know how crazy it can get when you are teaching landings...radios, traffic, talking, doing...it can be hectic and for a primary student it can be insane. If you really teach everything in one circuit around the pattern your mouth will never stop moving which is overwhelming for a student. Normally I would make several circuits adding a little each time. During my passenger brief with the examiners I told them this and warned them that "for today's checkride, there may be times when I will talk very fast and may not stop talking, but I have to do this to get it all in". I said in real life I would "----". They both seemed to like how I prepped them for that. Just some pointers!! Good luck!