View Single Post
Old 07-07-2010, 01:00 AM
Dahai
New Hire

Joined APC: Jul 2010

Originally Posted by LearIP View Post
Anyone know anything about them? anyone working for them or know anybody working for them? I got a call from a Chris Hortsman from CSA crew solutions out of Utah. I am getting an invite for an interview in China for Xiamen Airlines that flies 737NG and 757s. All sounds good as far as what he told me (then again thats his job). He told me currency is not an issue for them as they run you through a month and a half to two month training program. Pay is real good, commuting contract, (6 weeks on and 2 off). Just trying to get a feel for them if anyone has any knowledge. Thanks.
I can not assist you from a flight crew perspective, but I live in Xiamen and can provide a little insight into Xiamen Airlines from a pax stand-point if it is of any help to you.
Xiamen Airlines is one of many airlines operating into Xiamen. Again from the view of a pax, the company seems to look after passengers better than other airlines. A meal is always served on their flights, whereas others provide bottled water. During a flight delay, a meal is always provided on the ground and passengers taken to a local (4 star) hotel for lengthy delays. I experienced approx 5 hour delay in Guangzhou, and we were bussed to a nice hotel, provided with a room, and meal. Then taken back to the airport. OK this is all superficial and no real baisis to evaluate a job with. But my point is that other airlines do not do this.
Their fares are often slightly higher than other carriers.
Cabin crew English is very limited, even on international flights. Since the majority of their flights are internal, my guess is that the flight crew would also have low English levels, and I base this on speaking to a few cabin crew from other airlines who also operate internally. Some Xiamen Airlines flights are international, but I can not comment on the flight crews English on those.
Xiamen is a nice island, taking approx 2 hours to circumnavigate. It is linked to the mainland by three seperate bridges in different areas of the island.
The weather is good, with very little pollution. Summer is hot and humid, Spring a little wet, with mostly drizzle as against heavy downpours continually. Autumn (fall) is a nice period and becoming cooler. Winter can be cold, but it is relative as to what is cold. Let's say around 10-13 deg C. We do not experience the typhoons that other parts of the coast experience. Thanks to Taiwan being situated where it is.
Living costs are not expensive here, with a bottle of beer around RMB 2-3 per bottle, red wine (non-imported) around RMB 20 up, with imported around RMB 30 plus. Oh yes, McDonalds and KFC are here too.
Post again if you would like some additional info in regards to living etc here.
Good luck in your search and interview.