Thread: Part 141 or 61
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2010, 10:53 AM
minitour
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2008

Originally Posted by elmetal View Post
price really depends where you go but from talking to other pilot buddies, it's general consensus in my group of friends that 141 ends up being more expensive mostly because if you can't pass a lesson they will stick you on that lesson and won't go forward
Yeah, I understand that concept. That question was more directed at the OP.

I had students in our 141 program that got through in damn-near-minimum times and I had students that I withdrew from our Commercial program because they were about to exceed Part 61 requirements and it was going to be just easier/cheaper/quicker to finish them up outside of our 141 program.

Just wondering, the schools that the OP is checking out, which one will be less expensive? I recommend to add 10-15% on to the 141 syllabus hours and use that for your budget.

For "Part 61" instruction, you can probably get the commercial ticket right at 250, assuming all other requirements are met, but you should add 15% or so to the dual requirements to get your budget. That should keep you safe. You may be able to cut some costs here and there if you go up and split the cost with a safety pilot while you get your hood time. Of course, when you get to the complex aircraft, the insurance may well require more than the 10 hours required in the regs for you commercial check ride. That's also something to look into.

If I were doing it all over again, I'd have gone the "part 61" route and stayed in my 152 for 90% of my training. I could have done everything in a 152, 172N or R, V35 Bonanza and Seneca. Take a safety pilot in a 152 and you can cut the cost significantly. But that's just me. YMMV.

-mini