Old 07-08-2010, 08:18 AM
Soyathink
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2005

Originally Posted by Gunter View Post
Political rhetoric aside, looks like the FAA and congress have once again put airline safety firmly on sidelines. Can't say I'm surprised as it is standard operating procedure unless they need to act to keep their butts from getting chewed on. Which is few and far between because they are masters at shifting blame.

Plane crash victims push W.Va. senator for bill - Yahoo! Finance

I cringe whenever I hear these folks talk about safety. They act swiftly for the industry when they think it will keep costs low but can't bother with major risk mitigating changes that are long overdue. Long haul truckers have better rest rules.

I guess the problem has gone away (butt chewing potential) because we haven't had any other accidents directly attributable to fatigue. With a wave of their hand they're saying, "Go about your business, nothing to see here."

Maybe we should put together another commission to decide when the next meeting on this will be.
I have met Senator XXXXX. He is an idiot. He has no business being on anything in transportation. You have a great point about truckers. You should dig up how many trucking accidents happen in his state because of safety.

Probably haven't heard of any fatigue accidents because it's easier just to say pilot error and sweep it under the rug. The Captain of that flight lived in my neighborhood. The news here crucified him with pilot error accusations.