Old 07-08-2010, 08:42 AM
CactusCrew
Tri-tanic operator

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: Doggie

Originally Posted by TransMach View Post
Aside from the problems changing regulations, any change will not address the problem of commuting. Regardless of what changes in flight time limits and rest requirements, there won't be any change in rule which would prevent a crewmember from commuting all night or for an even longer period of time and then show for a 16 hour duty day.

This is where rules need to change. This is where the Colgan crew drew their fatigue.

TransMach

Says the guy who lives 20 minutes from domicile and hasn't been moved around much ...

I've actually lived that close to base at once. Now I have a 2 hour flight connecting to a 6 hour flight.

While I have only been commuting that far for less than 3 years, I can safely say that those individuals that live near their base have just as much of a chance to report to work fatigued as the long distance commuter.

I have lived both life styles enough to know a "commuter regulation" will do little if anything to address the issue of fatigue in the cockpit.

The most fatigued I have ever been is well after that first report anyway. Maybe as early as day 3, or as late as day 15. How will a commuting regulation address that problem ?