View Single Post
Old 07-12-2010, 02:46 PM
WalkOfShame
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2009
Position: Going Mach Chicken

I have nearly 1000 hours of dual given teaching students of many different countries. The best advice I can provide would be:

1) Draw, draw, draw!! Use a white board, pen and paper, anything. They will understand pictures much more than you talking to them because of the language barrier. I would tell my students if they understand what I'm saying then they should say "I understand". If they don't, have them say "sorry sir, no". Because in the cultures of many countries, saying you don't understand something or asking a question to a superior (which you are in their eyes because you are their teacher) is unacceptable and looked down upon, so they will say "ok" or nod yes when they don't understand at all. Just try to be very clear with them that asking questions is OK, that YOU want them to ask when they DON'T understand something.

2) Chinese students are very book smart and memorize things very easily, you are correct, but they have hard times making decisions. This is because the Chinese school systems are rather regimented. They have never really had to make decisions before (especially life/death decisions). You just have to be patient and teach them the logic about HOW to make a decision. You need to demonstrate an emergency and talk through EVERYTHING your thinking and why. It will take sometime, but it needs to be done.

3) Plan on everything taking twice as long to complete ground lessons, flights, and pre-/post briefings.

4) Patience, patience, patience. It's a virtue.

Hope this helps. As you gain experience you will figure out what works and what doesn't. And either way... it will make you a better pilot in many ways.

Good Luck!