View Single Post
Old 07-12-2010, 02:56 PM
vagabond
Administrator

Joined APC: May 2006
Position: C-172

Originally Posted by The701Express View Post
-The language barrier is tough to overcome. I figured out early on that they will say 'Yes' or 'Ok' to almost any question you ask them. Instead when I tell them something to work on during a debrief for example, I have them repeat it to me so I know they understood what I just said. Also, in the plane, I try to talk as little as possible, and when I do speak, I try very hard to dumb down the English as much as possible. Thankfully a 172 doesn't have a CVR that could get pulled so people could hear how stupid it must sound .
I'm sure other people do this, but Asians are basically taught from birth to say "yes" or "ok" when someone is talking to them or asking them a question. They are acknowledging that you are speaking to them; they are not answering the question. Your method of having them repeat things is helpful and confirms for both whether they understand what you want them to do. However, it is not necessary to dumb down English very much. Aviation has its own unique language and any aviator/flyer who is serious about flying needs to learn these terms sooner than later. Best way to learn is to start using it on them and they better pick it up real quick. Furthermore, the folks who have the fortitude, motivation, passion and wherewithal to come to this country for flight training are generally not stupid. They just can't pronounce "Engrish" well.

So, anybody want to meet me for Seafood Flied Lice (fried rice) and chicken blokli at the FBO tonight?