View Single Post
Old 11-29-2005, 11:06 AM
FlyingGorilla
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2005
Default Don't give up

Uconn,
I'm not a professional pilot, yet. But I do know exactly where you will be if you give up the dream. Like you, I've always had the dream of flying for a living. After I graduated college, I didn't think that becomming a pilot was a realistic idea. So, I gave up on the dream. Here I am at the age of 29, giving up my successfull corporate job to follow my dream that I should have done 8 years ago.

I thought that becoming a corporate executive was the way to go....makes lots of money.....comfortable lifestyle....lots of time for family....stable employment....all of those things that people say is opposite to a career in flying. I've worked hard for the past 8 years, got my MBA, and I've moved right up the corporate ladder. After that time, I've realized that I don't like working in corportate America. Maybe it's just my job, or my boss, or my company. But one thing has always come back around, and that's my passion for flying.

I may be a little behind some people, but I'm going to do it. I've been successful in everything I've ever done, and I'll be successful at flying.

It's true that you need to have a back-up plan. You're still very young, and if you're getting the kind of flight time that you mentioned, you won't have any problem getting a good job. But, DON'T give up on the dream. You'll regret it for as long as you live. Trust me. It's tough to turn down that 50k a year job, and make much less starting out. But, if you don't have passion for what your doing you won't like it.

I'm sure you've heard the saying but it's worth repeating. 'If your job is something that you love, you'll never work a day in your life.'