View Single Post
Old 11-29-2005, 11:50 AM
WatchThis!
Da Man

Joined APC: Feb 2005
Position: DC-10 F/O

What garbage. The Wall Street Journal is really going down hill, I swear at times I think it's just a black and white version of USA Today (minus the Su Du Ko).

While some of Southwest's concerns are valid, the article talks about competition in the DEN market, specifically with UAL and Frontier. Yes, it's true that they may face higher costs than normal and stiffer competition in DEN than in some other markets, but "...low cost model sees threat..."? Please, I give SWA a bit more credit.

The one thing I did enjoy about the article is how they highlighted what a bunch of stodgy old farts the Denver "officials" were.

When Southwest's four-person team swept into town July 11, Denver officials were at first deflated. The Denver officials, clad in dark suits and ties, were surprised to see the Southwest crew dressed in golf shirts and khakis. "I don't think anybody was over 35" years old, says Thomas Clark, head of economic development for Denver. "I thought, 'OK. They've sent the junior team.' "

Mr. Clark changed his mind when the Southwest team began pelting Denver officials with detailed questions about economic growth and plans for development in the region. What are the demographics for winter skiers? What kind of conventions do you have planned for the next five years? "These are questions we've just never been asked by an airline before," said Mr. Clark.
Looks like Denver's city government really is portrayed accurately on South Park.