Old 07-16-2010, 08:05 AM
Wings and Water
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jul 2010

Originally Posted by TonyWilliams View Post
What do you base this statement on? Speculation?
Factual studies that are being and have been completed. It used to be drilled into generations to go to school, get a good education, go to work for a solid and stable company, work your way up and retire at the top. With the vary rare exception (probably more rare than going through and entire piloting career without furlough), this does not happen.

The mid to late 20 somethings and younger are starting to see the world for what it is, cruel. They are deciding to focus on careers that bring them joy, that fulfill them, rather than chase the money and be miserable. Whether it's Natural Resources, Physical Therapy, Sports Management, Biology, Self-Employment, etc., people are realizing that life is not about becoming a slave to your job in order to earn a check. They are starting to realize that they will have more fun, be happier, feel more fulfillment and ultimately live healthier lives by pursuing what their heart is in, not what looks to pay the most. With companies lowering their pay scales across the board, people are also realizing that they can make as much (sometimes more) and be more happy, doing what they want.

Research it.........it is becoming more of a reality, daily!

As for me, yep, I made good money in sales.........and I was miserable every single day! Unless one has been there, they will never truly understand what it is like to dislike your job so much that you are already in a negative mood before crawling out of bed. What happened to my fiancee and I at the time, is happening to many other couples as well; the time in their lives when they were/are making the most money; they are the most stressed, eating unhealthy, doing nothing other than work and their personal relationships are suffering. The more we made, the less we were home, the more stressed we were and the less happy we were together. The time in our lives when we made the most, we were at our worst. It happens! Life is not all about the money. Do you need it, yes! Is it worth sacrificing other parts of your life for, no!

I've been on both ends of the spectrum. I was broke and couldn't make rent in college. I was successful in sales and made good money. Together, the fiancee and I did well. I was a sales rep., on my own, doing well. She was the Director of Sales and Marketing for an International company at 26. Today, she is doing what her heart is in and I am doing something I enjoy (although I am considering the pilot career, as this thread suggests), and we are healthier and happier than we have ever been. Something to think about!