View Single Post
Old 07-17-2010, 04:00 PM
Denny Crane
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2008
Position: Kickin’ Back

Originally Posted by Wuzzo View Post
OK, gents, I apologize if this isn't the right place, but it seems close. My topic searches only came up with a couple "Why DAL vs. XXXX airlines?" threads. If it's been beat to hell in another topic, feel free to say "shut the hell up, #2, and click here: "www.threadthatwuzzoshouldbeabletofindifheweren'ts uchalousygoogle-fu-guru.com"

A few questions for those who fly for/have flown for DAL, and particularly those who had other offers:

Why did you chose Delta?

Now that you've flown with them for a year or thirty, did those reasons pan out, and would you do the same again?

Hypothetically, say you had offers from DAL and other airlines/cargo lines, what would be the pros and cons to your consideration of DAL?

Thanks a ton,
Wuzzo
I've been here almost 22 years and, for the most part, have really enjoyed myself. It's an absolutely outstanding bunch of guys and gals to be associated with. Working with people you enjoy being with makes the job, any job, soooooo much more fun both in the air and on the ground.

Looking back over the last 20 years I all I can say is "I'd rather be lucky than good" and that has been what's happened for me. Sure there are times when I go "you've got to be kidding me" but for the most part I've been VERY happy with being at Delta especially with how the airline industry has developed over the last decade. I don't like adversarial relationships and, for the most part, the pilots and management get along fairly well. That's a good thing in my book as long as it's not carried too far. (And that's a fine line!!)

I didn't have a choice of which job to take. Delta was my first interview and they gave me the green light 3 days after I got home from the interview. I was in class with them before I even heard back from other airlines to come and interview. I'm a Pacific Northwest boy and, at that time, probably would have gone with United or Northwest if given the option. Looking back, I'm glad I didn't have the option!!

Pro's, good working relationship with management, a plethora of pilot bases that are located all over the country, domestic and international flying, great fellow pilots to work with, and you can fly almost any plane there is now!!! Also the upcoming amount of retirements starting in a few years. (Huge!)

Cons, compared to other airlines, I can't think of too many!!! It's a huge airline and change comes slowly. Others can chime in here.

The above, of course, is all my opinion! YMMV

Denny