Thread: Cathay Pacific
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2010, 12:38 PM
4everFO
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2005
Position: Left Out

Originally Posted by IndyAir Guy View Post
That would make sense from a business standpoint and saves the company a lot of money because Cadets don't get housing or education allowance. However, if there is much growth I believe they will be forced to hire Direct Entry FOs. Also, I think there are only a few that can work in the USA, so bases in the USA will have to be staffed with DFOs
Cadets do get education allowance now from rank of FO and up.

As far as the US bases go, this is MY take...Americans are now the 4th or 5th largest demographic in CX. If they do in fact intend to promote from within then the bases will be staffed by FOs and upgrading SOs transferring/bidding out of HKG. Remember they are recruiting "international" cadets now so there are bound to be some Yanks in the mix. If there are vacancies left over then they will staff the flights with HKG based pilots. The DEFOs in 2008 violated every single pilots CoS that was already in CX, hence the court case that the SOs won...naturally the company is appealing. I do not see them making the same mistake again. Now, if there is significant growth, and the experience levels of the cadets is such that they are not legally able to upgrade, then I think we will see DESOs and FOs. Right now there are 4 years worth of SOs (over 300 pilots) that have the experience to upgrade to FO. Additionally, the imminent dawn of 3 man long haul (Captain, FO and SO) to Europe doesn't bode well for the hiring of direct entry pilots.

Cruize...do not quote me but I believe it has been revised since the time period you state. All of the freighters being pulled from the desert are a sign that the budget changed.

FO