View Single Post
Old 11-25-2006, 06:17 PM
SkyHigh
Self Employed.

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: Corporate Pilot
Default The true value of money

The true value of money

Often I am criticized as being shallow and money focused. As a younger lad I must admit that money matters didn’t cross my mind as much but older now and with more responsibilities it is a common concern of mine. Normally people associate the concept of wealth building with an unhealthy obsession of material possessions and quests. It is also a common perception in our society to consider money as evil and the pursuit of it morally ill.

In fact, the acquisition of money is essential for a happy, healthy, full and balanced life. The lack of it is the cause of most matrimonial hardships, divorce, stress, personal loss, decreased health, lack of control in ones life, depression and lack of accomplishment. Money shortfalls can turn a dream job into a pit of despair and imprisonment. Under compensated workers are angry dissatisfied, uninspired and suffer low self esteem. In fact to me it seems that anything other than the pursuit of money is short sighted and grossly irresponsible.

Money is the essence of power, control and ability. A life with money offers a broad range of choices and influence. Money allows us to best provide for our loved ones and selves in a manner that best suits us and the situation. Money can create opportunity for education, self improvement, better healthcare and personal safety. Money allows one to take larger risks since it provides a safety net. It also gives one the ability to improve the world through donations of time, services and the life giving force of money.

Money has the power to corrupt but it is also the tool through which most of the good in the world and life occurs. To choose to view it as evil makes for an easy excuse to avoid taking responsibly for ones own self reliance, responsibilities and life. The attempt to justify an aviation career as a noble path of aviation martyrdom is shallow, self serving, self defeating and irresponsible. It is essential that one not overlook realistic income requirements. We all need to take an honest assessment of our careers as a source of satisfaction but also as an urgent source of income. In my estimation the prospects of an average aviation career is out of balance with the resources it consumes. The results of the blind pursuit of flying will be a life of deficit.

SkyHigh