Thread: MC-12 Flying
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2010, 04:12 AM
Sputnik
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2007
Position: Petting Zoo

Chris I wrote you a huge PM and my computer ate it.

Had a few folks at my last base go, I was interested in program and pumped for info both while deployed and after they returned. The very short version: although they had originally applied for and were accepted as initial cadre (i.e. permanent) to the program, both elected to return to their previous aircraft when done with deployment. Living conditions were AOR standard, hard billets with roommates, nothing horrible, nothing fancy. Assuming you've deployed won't be any kind of surprise. They flew a lot, felt like it was some important stuff. Keep in mind, the 12 was developed to augment the UAV fleet--they spent a lot of time orbiting sand.

On a personal note, there's nothing particularly hard core about it. There was a lot of rumint that you'd be shooting stuff, far as I know it went no where. Still, I think it's a cool idea, I like the idea of learning a completely new plane, then flying it a lot in a hot zone. As Wuzzo said, it beats the hell out of a lot of the other deployment "opportunities" out there. To me the only real downside of this particular deployment is that when you add on the training you're gone close to 8 months.

I seem to recall you were a Netjets guy so doubt it matters but the training nets you a type rating and ATP (true as of a year ago anyway). That's something.

If I were facing a deployment, I jump on one. Seeing as I'm not...I'm not. My wife has made clear her policy on me and voluntary deployments. But my commander knows I'm interested/willing.

If you want more, drop me a PM