Old 08-04-2010, 11:22 AM
SkyHigh
Self Employed.

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: Corporate Pilot
Default Years Ago

Many years ago I came to a road block in my aviation career. I was laid off during the recession of the early 1990's from my instructing job in Anchorage. There were no instructing jobs to be had. My solution was to buy a Cessna 150 and instruct out of it. The problem was that I did not have much money.

To make a long story short I ended up living in my truck and flight instructing out of my own plane for cash without being fully insured. I lived on the run from airport managers and had to keep moving from airport to airport.

My students commonly bought me lunch and I did some odd jobs on the side to bring money in. In the long run it worked out. I sold the plane for a small profit two years later and built a few hundred hours in it. I never had a major maintenance issue.

It was especially useful for job hunting. I would fly from airport to airport dropping off resumes wherever I went. I flew it out into the bush and met with several part 135 operators and ended up getting a job that way.

Skyhigh

Last edited by SkyHigh; 08-04-2010 at 02:36 PM.