View Single Post
Old 08-05-2010, 01:29 AM
flying13
On Reserve

Joined APC: Oct 2007
Position: C172RG
Exclamation 3 Years Later...

Wow! It's been over 3 years since my original post! I just wanted to thank everybody for replying to me about AF in Santa Monica.

Believe it or not, I never made it down there to "scope out" the place. Today, I found out that I have not flown in over 3 years. Long story short, I recently got the idea in my head to finish (start over) my CFI training. Again, AF in Santa Monica popped into my head. I called them, but I got a guy in Texas. He was very friendly, but said he'd just started working there. Then, I got the main office (recruiter) guy in Santa Monica, but what got me about him was that he was pushy and didn't listen to me entirely. His email after our phonecall was very professional though. I asked him that if I had my 2 writtens done (I don't, but could feasibly get them quick...my last ones expired), could I get through ONLY the CFI (initial) in 7 days. He told me that it was doable in 7-10. I also advised him that it had been "forever" since I'd flown a plane, and he said that it would be okay because we would just have to fly "a little" more. He said, the program is mainly ground and learning to teach. He also quoted me at $2500 - $5000 as the total cost for ONLY CFI. Does that seem accurate to you guys?

I called a nearby "mom and pop" flight school in my town (I should mention I live 8 hours north of Santa Monica, CA) about scheduling the writtens and meeting with a CFI for a sign off (I have the CFI king schools CDs). While talking with them, they asked why I wasn't doing it at their school (another LONG story), I told them it was because during my last rodeo with them my instructor flaked out. The guy I was speaking with guaranteed me that that would not happen again, as they have a completely dedicated instructor. The guy also told me that if I go through them, it will cost less than $2000 because it costs $125 to rent a 172 and $45 for the instructor. These planes are well kept, but so old that one of them has a MPH gauge instead of NM! Hahaha! But, the school is local. I spoke with the instructor who would be working with me, and he seems confident and honest, but I can't be sure. I have lost my faith in flight schools. I filled him in on my situation and he said that he could finish me in 7 days if I was really dedicated. I said that if I was doing it here, I wouldn't mind taking longer...I just want to actually LEARN something. He said it would take a lot of work on my part, but that if I did decide to go here, I would not regret it. Also, he said if I finish through this school, I could instruct out of there, but I'd have to pull in my own clients. Only thing is, no one wants to learn to fly here in this city or any nearby towns! Haha! Sad, huh? I suppose I could live off of BFRs...

At any rate, I'm torn as to what to do. I really need some solid advice. I don't have anyone locally that I can talk to about this major decision. Part of the problem is that I'm going to pay for this via credit card, so it's not like I have the money. I bring in less than $300 a month at my current job. I'm also a student at the university here (which is why I want to finish as soon as possible before the fall semester begins...lest I put it off another year...)

FYI: I have my commercial, instrument, and my 3rd class medical is still good as of the new rules. I am going to go get a new medical (2nd class) this coming Tuesday, because my 3rd will expire in Nov. and you need a 2nd to instruct anyway...

What should I do??? I'm so torn! Please help!

I can't believe the last time I wrote about this, it was 3 years ago, and I haven't touched a plane since then!

The crappy old flight school I mentioned when I first posted on this thread went bankrupt and kept $12,000 of mine! That's why I have trust issues now... and also no money to fly... :'(

Any advice? I miss being up in the sky...

Thank you all for reading this novel of a post...sorry for the length...