View Single Post
Old 11-30-2005, 11:00 PM
koz2000
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2005
Position: Airbus F/O

I agree with everything Seinfeld said.
Also it's not all about the flying experience with your sponsor. It's more about the sponsor knowing what kind of person you are. He's putting his "recomendation reputation" on line for you. If you turn out to be a complete ass or decide to turn in you ID on the 7th day of newhire training to go to Delta (on May 2001, yes it happened), they'll also look at him (especially if he recommends someone else). If you're just an aquaintance, take him out to lunch, get to know him/her. The flying with your sponsor thing is so your cousin's, brother-in-law's, college roomate who once knew a guy who now flies at FedEx won't recommend someone he doesn't know at all.

Even though I had several recs, I still felt hesistant about calling on favors. But by putting myself in a slightly uncomfortable position, it got me where I wanted to be.

As far as the guy who hates MEM, he could take you in to see the Regional CP in ANC. There were a couple guys from the ANC area in my newhire class that had never been to MEM before the interview. A RCP has lots of pull in getting the call. Get up to AK and do a grip and grin with your buddy. I'd jump at the chance to ask a favor from a soon to be retired guy. He might have a retirement favor coming his way. If he knows you, he'll want good guys at the company to keep his retirement check coming .