View Single Post
Old 08-11-2010, 10:54 AM
Airhoss
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2008
Position: Sleeping in the black swan’s nest.

Originally Posted by JetDaily View Post
Didn't say it was THEE thing that took them there, but it was one of the reasons. If you can't understand that, you're not really a serious player in the discussion.

You really expect UAL to go back to allowing wide-body captains to work 5-6 months out of the year and pay them over $300K/yr? What color is the sky in YOUR world?

Here is what I envision: UAL is going to pay pilots a premium to fly overseas, fly at night and work long duty days. AND THAT IS APPROPRIATE, because pilots produce heavily and sacrifice by doing so.

Finally, you say you only wish to "be close" the highest paid in the industry. Are you willing to be "very close" to the most productive and efficient? I would submit that most UAL pilots could not handle the pace at a company like SWA. Many have had the opportunity to go over to SWA during the last decade (and some have) but most chose not to because they wouldn't like to work that much. JMHO.

Jay Dee
SWA does not work at near the pace that our narrowbody guys are at the moment. SWA has far better work rules with far more efficient trips and much more time off. Many of our narrow body guys are flying 90 plus hour months with 12 days off. Add in a large number of all nighters and late afternoon moving to early morning departure in a typical ID and you'll find that there are few SWA guys who would want to give our pace a second look. I don't care who you are these domestic schedules are a serious a$$ kicker.