View Single Post
Old 08-12-2010, 11:43 AM
SoCalGuy
Keep Calm Chive ON

Joined APC: Feb 2008
Position: Boeing's Plastic Jet Button Pusher - 787

Originally Posted by CA Jimenez View Post
SCG,

At Continental; can you pick up trips that are in OPEN time while on reserve?

I got furloughed last October and I also had some months when I could pick up trips to about 80 hrs. but towards the end it was pretty hard picking and I flew mostly 50 to 60 hours.
Been awhile since I have been on reserve, but I'll take a stab.....

If I understand your question Jimenez....When you are on reserve at CAL ("A" or "B" aka short/long calls), there is something called an "Aggressive P/U Window". It's basically a 2 hr window the day before your reserve period (the short vs long call aggressive windows are separate times). It allows reserve pilots 'in a sense' p/u trips in open time that are going to be assigned to reserve pilots anyway. Basically gives a reserve pilot something to 'plan' around for the next day as opposed to being at the 'beckon call' waiting for scheduling to call on his reserve day. For the next day, if there's 4 trips w/ 4 reserves in the pool it allows a reserve (ie -one of the 4 in the pool) to pick his/her "posion" for the next day as opposed to having scheduling do it for them.

As far as picking up 'true' OT for a reserve on his/her day's off, not exactly sure. I think the reserve pilot can do so if he's legal in staying away from 30/7 or 32/7 as well as 7 day conflicts ect.....as long as he/she does NOT go below 8 days off a month, I do believe he/she is able to do so & that pay goes above his/hers guarantee. The minimum scheduled days off per month is still 12. AGAIN, the second part of the explanation is what I remember, been awhile since being on reserve. Hopefully any other CAL reserves who are a bit more 'up' on this can help out???

At CAL, there are presently 2 schools of thought about p/u "true" OT on Days off as CAL has 147 'on the street'.....personally, I don't do it.....but have seen others who see it fit to do so.....To each there own and that's an argument that has been beaten to death, so I wont go there

Hope that helps....

BTW....CAL's LEC 171 (IAH) just had an info Town Hall call in this afternoon. CA Bill Benson from UAL's LAX base was on the call. Very informative as to how UAL does business in things like training ect....good to hear the other CAMP's going-ons insight.