Thread: Air Ambulance
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2010, 07:31 AM
firedup
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2006
Position: 320 right side

[QUOTE=fly4usd;780737]Howdy y'all

[*]I've had to load a 400lbs patient on a door because stretcher was bending too much and the hospital hadn't a strecher big enough. Well, we had to duct-tape this poor guy onto the door to load him;[*]some aircraft don't have a cargo door or a loading system for the sled (aka stretcher). So you need EVERY hands-on you can get at 3AM. Your cute flight paramedics ain't strong enough to get a 320lbs gozilla through the door and the mechanic locked away the key to the forklift.

I'm Sorry but I have to comment on a few of fly4usd's comments. We both have been in the industry for 10 years, but l am confused with the weight issue??? 400 lb patient? seriously? the stretcher was bending!! and you actually decided to go ahead and load him? Sounds like you want a lawsuit to me... we have SOP's here and 300 lbs is our limit. We have had to leave paitents at the hospital because the nursing staff told us they were 300 lbs when in fact they were over 400. Not gonna happen at my company.....

You will be on call. You have 45 min to 1 hour to get to the aircraft AND get all horses out of the barn (flight plan, clearance, pre-flight, chocks, ...). Remember:[LIST=1][*]you do this all by yourself![*]At night! (FBO (if any) is closed, Twr is clsd, ...)

Pretty Dramatic.... Its not that difficult getting ready in an hour. Maybe if the weather is really low, you may need some more time to look for alternates, but dont paint such a misleading picture....

Peer pressure is immense (have-to-go-syndrome) from ALL participants in this gig!

C'mon dude! Seriously? Looks like you need to find a better company to work for if they make you do that.

Well, I am sure most of you get the picture by now: It is not that glamorous as it looks on TV

If you are looking for a glamorous job then be a victoria Secret model...

Everyone in the AA industry (that I know) is in it for the mission not the glamor.

Sorry if I insulted you, but had to straighten things out.