Old 08-18-2010, 07:11 AM
Otto123
Line Holder

Joined APC: Apr 2008

Thanks everyone for your input. I have also heard of the 45 degree bank aspect of a power off turn with minimal loss of altitude. I was just curious what everyone else has either gone through or tested. As for the given alt. of 6000', I only used that so that I wouldn't get a lot of responses that stated stay straight ahead otherwise you'll cartwheel into the ground trying to turn around. I understand the risks at low agl's, just wanted to find out what the thoughts were on having enough altitude.

I know Martha King teaches steep turns when in the pattern on a power off landing simply because it gives more time to assess the situation when you can level your wings after a 90 degree turn and the steeper turn gets you around to that 90 degrees faster and gives you better fov after leveling.

I am going to try my own tests in both a 172 and Archer. After multiple times, I will get back to you all with the figures of what I found along with what types of days they were done on. Obviously it won't be a science due to winds/temp and density alt. but it may give a little insight into a typical training aircraft's ability to do a 180 in that situation.

Thanks again.