Thread: Delta Bases
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2010, 12:11 PM
sailingfun
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2008

Originally Posted by johnso29 View Post
And the lawsuits will follow the regs, & not just from pilots. I see management fighting it too. If they are forced to force us to live in base, then they'll end up having to give us COLAs determined by our domicile. I can live in DTW for a lot less then I can live in NYC. Am I really doing my daughter a favor if I move her away from Grandma, Grandpa, Aunts, Uncles, Cousins, and for my wife her Mom, Dad, & sister?

If the gubment tries to change that, things are gonna get much more messy.
There is a bill in congress right now to require rules for commuters. The ATA has not made a peep about it. In fact they often bring up commuting when ALPA pushes for better rest rules. It looks like this bill will die in committee. As I mentioned another accident and it ALPA wont be able to kill it next time.
Pilots can sue all they want. They wont get far. There must have been at least 100 or more lawsuits about age 60 over the years. The courts always ruled the FAA can control items regarding flight safety.
We as pilots don't help ourselves much in this regard also. Most pilots commute so they are properly rested before a trip. We have however many who don't.