View Single Post
Old 08-23-2010, 06:31 PM
ryan1234
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2008
Position: USAF

Originally Posted by A320fan View Post
I'm getting ready for my COMM SEL ride, and feel pretty much ready for most of the oral except for 1 thing-Prop governors. First off, I'm taking the ride in a 172, but we still need to know landing gear, prop governor, and pressurization systems (and feel free to let me know if I missed anything else). What I get so far about governors is this: props change pitch by means of oil pressure through the governor. In a single-engine, increased pressure=higher pitch/low RPM and vice-versa for decreased pressure. But I don't know where to go from there as far as explaining it for the oral. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Not sure if this is much help... but most checkrides I've been on, the DPE's focused more on practical application of the systems... for example for single engine, when the prop "runs away" it could be good sign there is low oil pressure....visa versa for a twin, etc... plus knowing what oil pressure differences in climb/descent - straight/level mean.

Pressurization... if it's like any other commercial ride, it's doubtful they'll ask you much about that. But it's always good to know to basics... like if you loose pressure really fast at altitude - it can be a precarious situation.