Old 08-23-2010, 07:20 PM
bcrosier
Eats shoots and leaves...

Joined APC: Apr 2007
Position: Didactic Synthetic Aviation Experience Provider

Originally Posted by Ralph Furley View Post
This is not correct at all! I don't know who you fly for in Nigeria. My guess is that if you are in Africa you busted training somewhere in the USA(or more than one here).
What planet are you from? I have several friends and former colleagues who are flying in Africa currently, and it has NOTHING to do with their having busted training. It has quite a bit to do with losing in the "Will my airline stay in business" lottery.

The fact is that if the aircraft is trimmed correctly and you have enough runway almost any plane will fly with no control input. I know for a fact that a crj-200 will rotate on its own and fly away on a runway as short as 7500 feet. I have done this before.
I've never flown the CRJ so maybe there's something I'm missing here, but you're invalidating your takeoff data by not rotating the aircraft on schedule and at the proper rate. I'm sort of wondering why you would do that.

Further, in larger jets at heavy weights and/or flex power, there isn't a runway long enough to do that - so no they won't just fly off (that and you'd exceed max tire speed if you tried).