View Single Post
Old 11-29-2006, 12:14 AM
captjns
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: B-737NG preferably in first class with a glass of champagne and caviar

I could remember flying freight in the old 727 doing .86 into STL. I was following a SWA doing .75, also flying to STL. ATC was most accomodating to me and gave me an option of climbing, descending or slowing down to .73. I opted for the descent to warmer temps, and slightley greater TAS. There was no issue. We all got to STL when we were scheduled to.

In another instance, while on final approach into FLL during a ferry flight, the tower controller asked if I could increase my approach speed by 25 knots to accomdate a SWA on final behind me. Not wanting to destabilize my approach and exceed my company's limitations, I volunteered to do a 360 to fall in behind the SWA 737. Also being a 737 flyer, I recognize 737s with the new wings and making approaches when near max landing gross weight have a considerable high approach speed than the classic 737s. ATC does the best they can to vector aircraft with proper spacing. ATC does not have a crystal ball and could not guess my landing weight was way slower than normal thus resulting in a much lower than normal approach speed. If I can help it, I don't want to cause anyone to go around. That's plain stupid, immature, unprofessional, and arrogant and most of all damn unsafe airmanship! Besides... I get paid by the minute.

We all work together, and try to accomodate each when ever possible.

Last edited by captjns; 11-29-2006 at 12:25 AM.