View Single Post
Old 08-26-2010, 04:31 PM
Phantom Flyer
Snakes & Nape

Joined APC: Nov 2006
Position: B-767 Captain
Cool We Need to Check Your Logbbok

Originally Posted by bcrosier View Post
Since there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer - I figure I'm a required crew member for that flight, I'm logging time the entire time.
Let me get this straight. If your the "bunkie" (relief pilot, IRO, whatever you want to call the position) and you're on a scheduled break in either a crew bunk or a designated rest area, you're logging flight time ? You might as well log a few shuttle orbits and some supersonic flight in the Concorde while you're at it.

The original posting is a good question. For my two cents, after six years of international flying with augmented crews, the only professional way to log flight time is when you are sitting in one of the two front seats. As an F/O, even if type rated, you are supposed to log SIC time since you are a "second-in-command" on the flight release (FAR Part 121) no matter which seat you're sitting in. The designated pilot-in-command logs PIC as he's the one that gets the chair at the end of the mahogany table without a glass of water at the hearing.

Just my two cents Mates.

G'Day