View Single Post
Old 08-26-2010, 05:14 PM
jonnyjetprop
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2005

You make a good point except:

Do you only get paid for the time you sit in the seat ? (Before you laugh, I heard that several Middle East carriers do just this.)

Does the FAA flight and duty time limits apply only to the time in seat or for the whole duration of the flight? This one is easy. Whole duration of flight.

If the captain is the PIC for the whole flight and only logs time in seat, then who was the PIC while the captain was in the bunk? If the captain logs the whole duration, then why would the SIC not?

Does your company define duties for the RO while he is not sitting at a seat? Mine does. Therefore, the RO is proforming required duties during a portion of the flight while not sitting in a front seat.

Logging time (with a few exceptions) isn't defined by the FAA at all. Therefore, it would only really come into play at an interview. The real question is would Delta or another carrier accept the time or not. My guess would be that at this point in your career, you have enough time. Can you justify why you logged what you did or not?

Just a few items to further cloud a cloudy issue.

Originally Posted by Phantom Flyer View Post
Let me get this straight. If your the "bunkie" (relief pilot, IRO, whatever you want to call the position) and you're on a scheduled break in either a crew bunk or a designated rest area, you're logging flight time ? You might as well log a few shuttle orbits and some supersonic flight in the Concorde while you're at it.

The original posting is a good question. For my two cents, after six years of international flying with augmented crews, the only professional way to log flight time is when you are sitting in one of the two front seats. As an F/O, even if type rated, you are supposed to log SIC time since you are a "second-in-command" on the flight release (FAR Part 121) no matter which seat you're sitting in. The designated pilot-in-command logs PIC as he's the one that gets the chair at the end of the mahogany table without a glass of water at the hearing.

Just my two cents Mates.

G'Day