View Single Post
Old 11-29-2006, 07:30 AM
Pilotpip
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2005
Position: Retired

Originally Posted by SkyHigh View Post
I think you misinterpreted. A professional wouldn't work for free. Pilots today would. That is what makes them a hobbyist.

I hope you don;t give it all. It is just a job. Life has much more to offer than a boredom tube at 35000'.

SkyHigh
I just walked out of an instructing job becuase the owners of the flight school weren't willing to pay us what other schools in the area were willing to pay. I had 10 job offers and had the joy of picking the one that fit me best. I could have already gone to one of the "lower tier" regionals but decided to instruct for a while longer and start flying jets when I'm ready and for a company I want to work for. I like teaching and it pays the bills. I think that you would see that the Shiny Jet Syndrome is starting to fade. Mesa and TSA can't keep pilots. The enrollment at academies is starting to decline. This industry has gone through this upward and downward cycle before. Sooner or later it's going to start getting better. And besides, there's a lot more flying out there than the airlines. Who's to say that I don't go fly a Lear instead?

I don't give it my all. I take time to do the things I enjoy. It keeps life in perspective. Life has more to offer than any job, it's all in how you approach it.

Skyhigh, it's great that you enjoy life more now than when you were in the airlines. It's great that you show an alternate side to this industry. However, I know too many people (in real life, and guys like CalCapt and Tony C and others on the forum)that are very happy doing this, that have worked very hard to get where they are to believe that I'm in the minority or have something wrong with me because I'm "paying my dues" at the bottom right now. If this is the bottom, I'm in good shape because I love what I do.