Thread: Delta Bases
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2010, 04:27 PM
buzzpat
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2008
Position: Urban chicken rancher.

Originally Posted by Wuzzo View Post
OK, so I'm thinking I may be about the most popular kid in my class, whenever that is. High last 4, and all I want is to eventually end up in an NYC M88. Planning to commute from MHT/BOS, and that seems pretty doable, even to for long call reserve (and if all goes sour w/flight availability, it's a 5hr drive).

As a mil guy with zero airline experience, can someone give me a good idea on what a "typical" NYC M88 junior reserve month might look like? What about one of the most junior lines?

Also, when you sit long call, is that a 12hr or 24hr stint? I assume you're in crew rest as soon as you accept the call, and then your duty day starts at check in, right?

Thanks for helping fill my clue bag.
Hey Wuzzo, welcome aboard! From one ex-military guy to another, I think you'll be very happy. The first few times in and out of NYC and ATL are a little different but it doesn't take long to adjust. Let me try to answer a few of your questions.

On reserve, every day that is not an "X day" or off day is long call. The schedulers can assign you up to 6 short call days a month where you have to be ready to roll within two hours. They do cut those of us in NY and LA a break knowing we have to cover multiple airports and deal with the traffic.

They will notify you of a trip at least 12 hours in advance but often they give you much more time than that. It all depends on how much time the schedulers have to fill a trip. 12 hours is the minimum and really is the only "pre-departure crew rest" you get and your duty day does start at sign in.

I can't speak directly to NYC 88 reserve but LA 73N reserve varies dramatically depending on the time of year. In the winter I hardly fly. In the summer, I fly my arse off. Different equipment, different bases, varying times of year, etc, all affect how much QOL you'll have and how often you fly. You can fly above the pay guarantee if you put in yellow or green slips which a lot of guys do in the summertime to pad the paycheck.

Hope this helps. See you on the line.