View Single Post
Old 11-30-2006, 12:09 AM
palgia841
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: CRJ left
Default Tricky interview questions...

I was looking at some of XJT questions and came across a couple of tricky interview questions.
The ones about the "captain going below mins" are fairly straightforward since you always want to be on the safe and legal side.

But what if its christmas eve at an outstation and a single nav light is out....and the captain wants to go anyway. What do you do? Lets be honest, a single burnt nav is not exactly a big safety issue, is it?

Are they looking for someone totally by the book who will oppose the captain's decision? Or someone who is honest about it and says that a navlight is probably not a safety issue?

Honestly, I see it hard to believe they would want to hear anything BUT "I would remind the captain that it's illegal to T/O w/out all 3 navs". But what if the captain insisted in wanting to go? How far should you go defending a position which you know is not critical to flight safety?

The "best" answer I can think of is that you would refuse to go because you don't want to risk losing your license in case there's an FAA inspector. Pretty lame excuse, I know. Especially if in the scenario they say you're somewhere like in La Paz, Mexico. Or you could simply say it's illegal and you don't want to knowingly do anything that's illegal.

Any input? Anyone had this or a similar type of question asked before? (eg. something that's illegal but doesn't pose a significant safety hazard)