View Single Post
Old 09-05-2010, 03:41 AM
Mesabah
:-)

Joined APC: Feb 2007

Originally Posted by JUG47 View Post
You must have the perfect life. What's the secret cowboy?
There is a few drivers out there who retired before 60 to save what was left of their retirement packages.
Selfish, I think not.
Regardless, retirement would have been increased at some stage due to advances in medical technology.
That's just my ********* talking. *********s are just like opinions, everybody has one.
As far as feeding off the payroll as you put it, it's ironic, pilots ***** about being underpaid in this day and age, but apparently having experience at the top of the ladder is not only unwanted, it is seen as feeding off the system instead working for a living. I'm sure that sitting next to you
is a delight.
You wanted a steady career, should've joined the UAW.
The problem with your argument is that pay scales in the past were based off retirement at age 60. Your pension(terminated or not) was based off your last best few years of working. It then makes sense to bargain in such a way as to make sure the top of the seniority list receives the maximum amount of pay even at the expense of the bottom. You had to pay your dues to receive the reward of a great end of career. However, today that is not so, pensions are based on compounding interest. If you are above age 60 right now, you really aren't going to receive any benefit by working another 5 years, especially in this economy. The only thing you are doing is putting people below you on the seniority list who can take advantage of that compounding interest at a sever disadvantage; That is what is selfish. If you are 60+ right now and don't have a pension, you are going to have to start liquidating assets when you retire anyway. The stress of doing that is much more likely to put you in the grave at 65 than at 60.