View Single Post
Old 09-05-2010, 05:08 AM
AtlCSIP
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2009
Position: 737 Left

I tend to agree with Florida Flyer. If they can pass the medical and pass the training/testing events, let them fly. I think it is crazy to force someone into retirement just because of their age. This is called discrimination, which is something that we as American citizens staunchly oppose! Whether you think it is selfish or not for someone to fly past 60 or 65, it is WRONG to discriminate on that basis.

Now consider this, 50 year old captain comes home to find his wife with the pool boy. She leaves him, takes half of everything, and he has now lost 15 years worth of earning/saving potential. He didn't want a divorce, but got stuck with it anyway. Are you saying that it is selfish of him to continue to work to try and salvage some semblance of a dignified retirement? Who is being selfish?

I also agree with Tuck, that the First Class medical is a joke. Make it a real exam and we would probably solve the movement problem existing within most major airlines.

Dynasty, did you ever think that some people actually enjoy their work? What's wrong with continuing to work if you still enjoy it? One of the reasons people die so quickly after they retire is the don't do anything anymore!

My father in law is a 73 year old retired Delta captain who, incidentally, retired at about 57 because he was ready to, but is in better shape then a lot of 60 year olds I have met. He has flown right seat with me on a few trips, and I learned more in those couple of hours flying with him then I had in 50 hours alone! Incidentally, that was AFTER I had an ATP.

FWIW, I am in my 40's and have an opportunity as a first year FO with a regional. If all the stars aligned and I got the "Dream" job with some major at some point, I might make it to the middle of the seniority list if the age was raised to 70. Would that make me greedy and selfish? We're not talking about the top earning wages here, and people 20 years younger then me above me on the seniority list. Someday, you will have to make a decision about retirement. Hopefully, somebody else won't make it for you.