Gets Weekends Off
captscott26
Gets Weekends Off
close
  • Joined APC
    Feb 2007
  • Position
    A320 CA
Quote: OK, we all recognize that the TA and now ratified Contract is not optimal. Well maybe ARM thinks so, but he's always been that way.

Anyway, it seems to me that we need to pull together to advance our overall position. We need to find a way to manuever the company into a place where they are staffed well enough for the QOL focused pilot to live a comfortable life; but are not so overstaffed that those who want to earn extra money can do so. Personally, I am a QOL seeker. I LOVE guys like JCdC because he works and I don't get the JA phone call. But I realize that an excessive amount of OT flying results in the company's refusal to staff well enough to allow my continued QOL. IOW, OT is good, up to the point that my vacation gets cancelled because we are short staffed.

Where does that leave us? For now (leaving room for further thought and reconsideration), I will propose a block hour cap. I believe that a pilot should be capped at 90 hours (prelim number, needs refinement) BLOCK. I don't really care if some smart pilot finds a way to credit 120 hours if he only flies 90. I choose the 90 hour block limit because it is the number that our nego team picked to be our line build cap. If we didn't already have the 90 hour number, I would have picked 85 as per C2003.

Management really hates to pay for more hours than are flown, but they are the ones making deals to pay double, not the pilot so I don't feel one bit sorry for them. From a staffing perspective, it doesn't matter how much the company paid to get the trip covered, and I believe that we (union members) should focus on coverage. If we fix coverage/staffing, and we ensure that premium pay goes out according to seniority, it really won't matter how much the "other" guy get's paid.

What say you?
well...

just reading through the new FTDT NPRM, and if it goes through, it wont be 10 seconds before Spirit is begging to re-negotiate sec 25.