View Single Post
Old 09-13-2010, 12:55 PM
DAL4EVER
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2007
Position: 88B - Loud Pipes Save Lives

Originally Posted by PSpence View Post
Hello Everyone:

My first thread start, so pardon if it's a bad one ... Young Pilot here, always thinking about the future as a Pilot. So, I was wondering what's the ideal/realistic age (in a perfect world) to a make it to a Major? Or, if you are one who is already at a Major, what age did you make it in? I know several factors can affect when one makes it in and there is no hard number regarding age, but I was curious as to what the average is.

Please no negative comments about "getting out while you're still young" or anything along those lines ... I'm in it for the long haul.

Thanks in advance for the responses, I appreciate it.
I made it to DAL in 2001 at 29.

IMO, there is no "best age". If you want to be a major airline pilot, the "best age" is whenever you get hired. Obviously the earlier the better. In 2001, the average age in my class was around 38 I recall. Most of the military guys were older, civilians tended to be younger. I have no idea what the breakdown is now. I think the kids in high school or early college will be golden. They will be getting to their time in about 5-8 more years when the retirements will fully kick in. It is conceivable that guys will be hired and be Captains in a few years after that. DAL will lose 800 guys alone during the peak retirement years and that assumes no medical outs and guys go to 65. Any alterations and the numbers will go up.