MoonShot , 09-14-2010 06:07 AM
Gets Weekends Off
MoonShot
Gets Weekends Off
close
  • Joined APC
    Feb 2007
Quote: Hello Everyone:

My first thread start, so pardon if it's a bad one ... Young Pilot here, always thinking about the future as a Pilot. So, I was wondering what's the ideal/realistic age (in a perfect world) to a make it to a Major? Or, if you are one who is already at a Major, what age did you make it in? I know several factors can affect when one makes it in and there is no hard number regarding age, but I was curious as to what the average is.

Please no negative comments about "getting out while you're still young" or anything along those lines ... I'm in it for the long haul.

Thanks in advance for the responses, I appreciate it.
I wouldn't focus too much on age. You do have some great things going for you. Around the 2020 time frame, almost all of the major airlines are going to be retiring pilots like crazy. If you can just get hired in the first half of that wave (about the first five years or so) you will be set. Your first five years at the airlines would look extremely different as compared to someone that's been hired over the last decade (just bad timing for the 2000-2010 hires). As others have stated, the airline pilots have really been kicked in the teeth that last ten years. 9/11, outsourcing to RJs, bankruptcies, Age 65 etc... causing little growth and few retirements. The pilots hired at the majors between 2018-2025 are going to really going to have great progression, IMHO.

I made it at 24 (but very much on the backside of the hiring wave).

Good luck to you!