Thread: Best Age to a Major

cfitstew , 09-14-2010 08:25 AM
Gets Weekends Off
cfitstew
Gets Weekends Off
close
  • Joined APC
    Sep 2007
Quote: As for me, I feel I started too late. I just turned 21 (9 years to meet the goal!) with only 133 hours but flying like crazy and hoping to get a Commercial in the next few months ....
Many thanks again.
I wouldn't get so hung up on your age now. I was 19 when I took my first flying lesson and didn't get my first RJ job until I was 34. Things change rapidly in this industry and you need to be flexible. That's the most important thing I've learned after 18 years of working for airlines in one capacity or the other.

I only got a certificate or rating when I had the money saved up to pay cash for it. I didn't get my commercial until I was in my mid 20s and didn't start instructing until I was almost 30. I also worked my way through college (non-aviation) while working as a flight attendant for 12 years. I flew part time as a flight instructor, traffic watch pilot and part time charter pilot all while keeping my flight attendant job to pay the bills and stay out of debt.

I'm almost 39 now and am working for my 3rd RJ company. Still not at a Major, but that's ok because I've kept my eye on the ball and will hopefully end up there someday soon, 20 years after this adventure began. At the end of the day, I wouldn't have done any different. I have experience with different jobs at the airlines besides pilot, no pile of debt facing me and have had a blast over the last 18 years in this industry.

Good luck to you.