Thread: Delta Bases
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2010, 04:46 AM
sailingfun
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2008

My congrats to getting hired in these tough times. My only advice is enjoy the job! However, in order to do that you can't be sitting long call in one state with a family in another. If you can't move your family for various reasons, it will be a tough few years to say the least. Your first shot at block holder will likely be in NYC or in ATL on the 9 when it gets there.

The secret in everything you bid and plan on, risk vs gains. IMO, try to avoid seat locks as best you can; something worthwhile may come along in all the movement.[/quote]

Your statement on long call and commuting is the best single piece of advice any new hire will get. The reserve system never allowed for commuting at all until the last the improvements in more recent contracts. I have consistently noticed however that the least happy pilots are those that commute on reserve. Avoid it if at all possible.
The advice to go to the nine if you want to hold a line might not be good however. The category is shrinking. Richard A in the 16 Sep flight attendant conference call stated he wants the DC-9 50's retirements accelerated. He did add a qualifier that at the moment they don't have the airframes to do that but I suspect if they get more 90's it will happen.