Thread: Delta Bases
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2010, 05:12 AM
dragon
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: Dismayed

Originally Posted by sailingfun View Post

Your statement on long call and commuting is the best single piece of advice any new hire will get. The reserve system never allowed for commuting at all until the last the improvements in more recent contracts. I have consistently noticed however that the least happy pilots are those that commute on reserve. Avoid it if at all possible.
The advice to go to the nine if you want to hold a line might not be good however. The category is shrinking. Richard A in the 16 Sep flight attendant conference call stated he wants the DC-9 50's retirements accelerated. He did add a qualifier that at the moment they don't have the airframes to do that but I suspect if they get more 90's it will happen.
Agree with Sailing here. Have commuted to reserve for the past 2 1/2 years because I can't move the family just yet and until the company finally gets the planes in the 'right' locations there is too much uncertainty to move. I've had three bases in three years and only one was by choice (could be another base in my future if the AE goes against me).

However, remember this if the family is happy and has a support system in place we pilot types can survive for a little while as commuters. If you move them to make your life happy, you may find out all types of things about unintended consequences!