View Single Post
Old 12-03-2005, 06:53 PM
Vito
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: 757/767 Capt

UConnQB14,

Read this post carefully! I was in law school back in 84-85 finished my first year, thought it was pretty easy, my fellow classmates were not the kind of guys and girls I was used to hanging with...very much into "chasing the buck" and for many of them being a lawyer was a means to an end $$$$. I knew I didn't belong with them...My best friend taught me to fly in a C-152 and getting my private ticket was the highest goal I had...Then one day I ran into an Air Force recruiter and started BS-ing with him. Turns out I had a pretty good resume, and an excellent chance at getting a slot in USAF Pilot training! I never dreamed I could do something like that! Always thought Air Force pilots were calculus wiz-kids and Academy Grads. Long story short..6 months later with 58 hours total time, I'm flying a T-37! and 5 months after that I broke the sound barrier!!! The moral of the story Follow your HEART..I knew If I stayed in law school I'd have a great future, I also knew I'd always regret not having the "balls" to chase a dream. I can't tell you how many times I've been at parties, weddings etc when some guy comes up to me and tells me how he always wanted to fly jets but......fill in the blanks...don't be one of those people..You've found an area of comfort in Conn due to your football career and you can ride a few coatails for a while, but deep in your soul you'll forever wonder "should I" CHASE YOUR DREAM!! $50,000 a year jobs are a dime a dozen, especially for a college grad football hero...There are 2 famous quotes I have hanging in my study one by Teddy Roosevelt, the other a Robert Frost poem
The Roosevelt quote paraphrased
"The credit belongs to the man in the arena, who does not sit idly by and watch others. Whose face is marred by sweat, dust, and blood..This man spends himself in a worthy cause..He knows the sheer exhilaration of achieveing greatness and the bitter agony of failure..Yet if He fails, He fails DARING GREATLY..So that his place shall never be with those COLD TIMID SOULS who know neither great victory nor bitter defeat"

"I have taken the road less traveled, and that has made all the difference"
Robert Frost

Don't end up like all these corporate, minivan driving guys who wished they could have Dared Greatly!!! Your football experience has certainly given you a taste of what I'm trying to express, don't step down from the mountain...keep climbing to the summit!
Good Luck
Vito