Back on TDY
Carl Spackler
Back on TDY
close
  • Joined APC
    Apr 2008
  • Position
    747-400 Captain
Quote: I stand by my statement: nothing lucid about it. The only cogent point being made, by multiple people, is that ALPA representing the regionals might suggest a conflict of interest. I wouldn't have a problem with an effort to discuss that. But going to our own union does not change scope clauses, and it doesn't change the competition for our jobs.

I think the only true change an independent union does (other than weaken our position) is to help a particular bunch get in power. There are two kinds of people on this board: those that know who DPA is, and those who don't. Anyone that is not affiliated (which includes me) needs to know what Product DPA is before this goes any further. This is a basic requirement. We also need to know what the platform is, and what it wants to change, exactly. Right now, absent that information, I'm suspicious of the motives of anyone that lines up to support DPA. I have to presume they know what (and who) they're supporting. Otherwise, how can you make an informed decision about an alternative you don't fully understand?

There are some legitimate undecideds in the bunch (I don't know who is who anymore than you do), who are concerned about ALPA, and would like to see more communication, and some form of reform. I would easily fit in that camp, but oddly enough, I don't see any effort to effect any resolution within ALPA... which leads me to conclude this isn't about results, or about the issues, but who gets to be in charge. Ergo, until DPA is actually transparent, and stops using cheap populist tactics, I think the default setting remains "no". There should be huge threshold of before a de-certification effort is undertaken, so that there is a very large vote in favor. I firmly believe a new 51% union would be equivalent to contractual suicide.

I stand by my position, and for me, DPA is still at strike 2.
Of course there's no effort to offer resolutions from within to reform ALPA. It's been tried for decades, and all attempts have been beaten down. You refuse to understand the most basic premise: DPA is a vehicle for ALPA's decertification. Then comes campaigns, then comes elections. The pilots will decide who each leader of DPA is...the DPA will not make that decision.

Once ALPA is decertified, the pilots will decide the new platform, the new leadership and the new direction. But first things first...decertification.

Carl