View Single Post
Old 10-06-2010, 07:24 PM
DAWGS
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2007
Position: No to large RJs

Originally Posted by Sink r8 View Post
I stand by my statement: nothing lucid about it. The only cogent point being made, by multiple people, is that ALPA representing the regionals might suggest a conflict of interest.
I wouldn't have a problem with an effort to discuss that.
"Might suggest a conflict", I think the conflict is very apparent, even to a third party.

But going to our own union does not change scope clauses, and it doesn't change the competition for our jobs.
For there to be a change, our union must believe that there is a problem. Last letter I read from our leader did not mention rj scope as a threat. And he also alluded to Delta Pilots being made whole, (pre-bankruptcy wages). A half truth. I can think of a great cliche about a half truth, but I will refrain for Carl's benefit. As far as competition for our jobs...again, our union must first state that it is a threat. I have heard nothing of the sort. I have heard that from DPA.

I think the only true change an independent union does (other than weaken our position) is to help a particular bunch get in power.
An assumption, nothing more. The fact that you mention power makes me think you have a dog in the hunt. Do you?
The membership will elect reps.

There are two kinds of people on this board: those that know who DPA is, and those who don't. Anyone that is not affiliated (which includes me) needs to know what Product DPA is before this goes any further. This is a basic requirement. We also need to know what the platform is, and what it wants to change, exactly. Right now, absent that information, I'm suspicious of the motives of anyone that lines up to support DPA.
Are you happy with ALPA? Really? What are you happy with? Do you like supporting a bloated national organization that doesn't represent us? Do you like reading about the nice get togethers down in Miami? Do you like that secretaries make more than FOs. Do you like that they didn't take a stand when we needed it most? Do you think they are more worried about dues or the membership? Why the weak track record on RJ scope as compared to independent unions? I could go on and on. If you are suspicious of anyone supporting DPA, then I think you will soon be a paranoid soul. And BTW, I have no prior affiliation with DPA. Can you say the same about ALPA, other than being a dues paying member?

I have to presume they know what (and who) they're supporting. Otherwise, how can you make an informed decision about an alternative you don't fully understand?
I am fully happy with my decision to support DPA. It is us, the Delta Pilot, with no strings attached to a bloated national organization.

There are some legitimate undecideds in the bunch (I don't know who is who anymore than you do), who are concerned about ALPA, and would like to see more communication, and some form of reform. I would easily fit in that camp, but oddly enough, I don't see any effort to effect any resolution within ALPA... which leads me to conclude this isn't about results, or about the issues, but who gets to be in charge.
Speculation. Officers will be elected. I am not near as concerned over who is running the show as much as I am wether they get it or not. DPA states the problems clearly. ALPA doesn't. Call it populist if you like, but you first have to identify the problem before you can run the checklist.

There should be huge threshold of before a de-certification effort is undertaken, so that there is a very large vote in favor. I firmly believe a new 51% union would be equivalent to contractual suicide.

I stand by my position, and for me, DPA is still at strike 2.
Strike 2 for you, that's ok, they are rounding first for me.