Thread: Faf?
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2006, 08:54 PM
TonyC
Organizational Learning 

Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: Directly behind the combiner

Fair enough. It was the end of a long post... perhaps I should have shelved it and reviewed it before I posted. I probably misinterpreted your mention of icing or bad weather to mean you'd be in a situation where you couldn't do the approach over. As long as we both understand that you can only revert to the non-precision approach if there is actually a non-precision approach "under" there, then I'm happy.

As far as this thread taking a turn...

I'm of the opinion that this is a subject that requires precise language to accurately understand. It requires great care when answering specific questions, because the "generic" language we used when we were first introduced to these animals does not always produce the exactly correct answer. It is often the case that the misunderstandings that pop up are a direct result of misapplying those generalizations that we first heard. I'm not perfect -- far from it -- but I try to be as accurate and precise as possible when talking about this kind of stuff in order to AVOID misunderstandings. Correct terminology is critical to effective communication here.

And it really helps when we get away from the vanilla training world and into the raspberry and strawberry and macadamia nut world of "unusual" approach procedures in the real world.