View Single Post
Old 10-07-2010, 03:13 PM
Airsupport
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2007
Position: CRJ

Originally Posted by ChipChelios View Post
so just hypothetically lets do this. I am a little above the middle of the pack here at pinnacle. It has taken me 5 years to get to that point.

lets say a guy at the middle of the pack at colgan has only been there for 2.5 years. Do you think he/she deserves to jump to my seniority level just because he or she belongs to a smaller more junior pilot group?

Ummm...yes! What if the middle of the pack was 10 years? If someone is in the middle of the pack at their company, they should be put into the middle of the pack of the integrated company regardless of how long they have been employed. Would you be saying the same thing if the integration would put YOU at the level of a 2 year guy at your company?

I honestly think it should be straight date of hire. that would be the fairest way.

No, then instead of you getting screwed someone else would be getting screwed!
Date of hire is unbiased and fair. There are over 500 guys senior to me at mesaba. There are people at colgan senior to me. I still get screwed with date of hire but its fair. If they have been there longer then they deserve to be ahead of me in the seniority list.

Who cares if the middle of the pack is 10 years. When it comes to date of hire then you get what you have earned. Thats all. Even our most senior guy here at pinnacle would drop down to the 20's. But the people senior to him at mesaba have been at it longer and have been on that seniority list longer.

So please tell me how date of hire screws someone. If you have only been at it for 2 years that is all the seniority you should get. You shouldn't jump 1500 pilots just because you are in the middle of the smallest and most junior pilot group. That is not getting screwed that is getting what you have put in. Not some inflated seniority number that wasn't earned.

For example not counting the most recent hires most junior pinnacle pilots have been here for 2 years. They are in the bottom 10% here at pinnacle. Should a new hire at colgan go ahead of the guys who have been here 2 years just because they are also in the bottom 10% at colgan also? Our bottom 10% longevity is way longer than colgan longevity for their bottom 10%

I just want whats fair and no one can make a good argument against using date of hire. If we use date of hire and put in position locks then there will be no problems. you let a guy who has been at colgan for 1 year jump ahead of 3 year guys here at pinnacle just because they have the same relative seniority and you will have big problems.