View Single Post
Old 10-07-2010, 04:02 PM
TristarJS30
Permanent Ready Reserve

Joined APC: Mar 2006
Position: Upright and Locked

Originally Posted by Airsupport View Post
So please tell me how date of hire screws someone. If you have only been at it for 2 years that is all the seniority you should get. You shouldn't jump 1500 pilots just because you are in the middle of the smallest and most junior pilot group. That is not getting screwed that is getting what you have put in. Not some inflated seniority number that wasn't earned.
Here in lies my problem with using Date of Hire. I've "been at this" for several more years than I've been at Colgan. I spent a few years at another ALPA carrier and unfortunately found myself furloughed. I have only been at Colgan (another ALPA carrier mind you) a year and change, but as I said I've been "at this" (your words) and "earned" every shred of of experience I've gotten (and "put in") during my career.

Should I be punished in the SLI by my ALPA "brothers" because my former company began furloughing? Don't forget, many of the recent new hires at Colgan are former ALPA "brothers" who face the same fate of ending up at the tail end of a much larger seniority list than we signed on for.

How is that fair? And please spare me the life isn't fair remarks. I've "been at it" long enough to know life isn't.