View Single Post
Old 10-07-2010, 04:55 PM
Carl Spackler
Back on TDY

Joined APC: Apr 2008
Position: 747-400 Captain

Originally Posted by gloopy View Post
DPA is running, in part, on the scope sale failures under ALPA's watch. Great. I hope that generates a lot of attention. But what would DPA really do if they win, and the same membership votes in the same scope sales for the same one time cookies?
I truly believe this won't happen because the membership won't be treated with the extreme scare tactics used by ALPA in the past. I always wondered why ALPA did this. Then I realized it was simply a numbers game to ALPA. They saw growth in membership and dues to be in the regional market and they went for it. If DPA truly believes just the opposite and uses its representational power granted to it by the members to lead against any scope sale, there will be a lot fewer pilots voting for scope sales.

Now if the anti-scope sale rhetoric is backed up by the DPA in bylaws and/or specific campaign platforms and the like, and THAT is what causes DPA to oust ALPA, then great. But if that were the case, we would already have the same groundswell support for measured scope reclamation within the existing structure anyway.
Not if the national union that controls our local union does not agree. ALPA national uses its great powers of bylaws and meeting rules of order to get what they think is best for the national union. Period.

What is right, not who is right. We will see what DPA offers and how ALPA responds. But in either case it all comes down to membership resolve and resistance to myopic greed to stop the selling of tomorrow's career for today's cookie.
I think I can speak for a lot of us senior pukes when I say, it was not myopic greed that got many pilots (of all seniority brackets) to vote in scope sales. It was the fear propogated by ALPA national that scared pilots into thinking the airline would tank without it. I never bought into it, but many did. My strong opinion is that Delta pilots will not do this anymore once they are unburdened by the self-serving and conflicted "advice" that ALPA national has given on this topic to date.

Carl