View Single Post
Old 10-10-2010, 12:58 PM
scambo1
The Brown Dot +1

Joined APC: Jun 2009
Position: 777B

Originally Posted by gloopy View Post
The FAE system may indeed have been a major driver of scope sales, and of course that methodology for retirement is long gone. Its exciting that the UAL/CAL guys are ratteling their sabers over Scope and its actual reversal. Although just in the "opener" the fact that its there and a top emphasis item is encouraging. The fact that they have 1500 or so of their brethern on furlough is huge as well. Ditto for AA, although they don't have the urgency of a merger to contend with (yet) management on an industry wide basis will IMHO have a hard time even putting scope relief on the table at any other legacy. Delta will be the front lines because the debate will be framed in a similar manner it was back during the C2K days.

Everything's fine, we want top pay, etc. Well here you go...just sign here and you will be top pay! Wait what's all this scope relief? Oh that, well you see, it will result in more mainline not less so you can't afford not to outcource! You know, that whole arguement.

As for LM not being tough enough right now, I don't think we need a Dubinsky approach one bit. I don't expect him or anyone in his position to, especially at this point, talk about burning it all down if necessary to get 1970's pay adjusted for inflation, triple dipping vacation scams, check airman buddy bidding green slip years and other fantasy featherbedding. I don't expect him to say we will strike the shareholders if we don't get 50% raises, blah blah blah. But I do expect all in upper ALPA/DALPA leadership to publicly state, in no uncertain terms, that scope sales are over and in fact, scope reversal to some significant degree WILL occur.

The entire aviation industry is wondering about the future of the 77-120 seat market at Delta Air Lines and every other legacy. Union leaders pretending that this issue is somehow too taboo or controversial to talk about is downright unacceptable. Talk about partnering with our company. Friendly labor relations. How LM and RA txt every 5 minutes and are BFF's, whatever. But for pay I expect them all to say, 100% of the time, that when needed to save the company the pilots stepped up in the biggest way and gave back not only enough to save the company, but way too much. The emergency Ch 11 so we can avoid Ch 7 PWA that has seen only partial COLA since then simply will be going up to recapture some of what was loaned to the company to survive the darkest days. And way too much flying was outsourced and not only is that trend over, it will be reversed to some degree and those two items (especially the last one) are non negotiable in terms of will they happen or not. They will. And everyone from ALPA natl to DALPA to LM shouldn't shy away from saying so. It is not controversial one bit. It will not tank the share price. It will not trash the credit rating. There is no good reason not to at least be able to say that much. Not saying so makes it seem like someone intends on gutting scope again for a cookie.
--------------------

Dude!

You are my new frikkin hero ... awesome!