View Single Post
Old 10-11-2010, 09:56 AM
sailingfun
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2008

Originally Posted by scambo1 View Post
-----------
Agreed, or 12 hour int'l shortcall. One of those equal pay for equal work things. Isn't that like a trade union mantra?

And ACL,

I never knew you could be shortcalled for a trip that reported outside your s/c window. That just seems extremely wrong to me. I think I would have to be unavailable for that, as opposed to readily available.

Two things here. The first is DALPA did not negotiate a 12 hour short call for domestic and leave the international pilots hanging. In the evolution and improvement of reserve at Delta we started with 19 days on call, 24 hours a day with 2 hours to report. That has evolved over the years to the current system where a pilot is responsible for 6 short call days instead of 19. Short call for both domestic and international was 24 hours. Along came Witlow which essentially outlawed a 24 hour short call. Domestic was reduced to 12 hours since nothing else is workable under the rule. Witlow sadly did not effect international. If Witlow did apply to international you would be unable to cover many long duty day trips such as TLV, IST, ATH, VCE ect...

On the subject of reserve you can never be forced to cover a trip on a short call basis outside the shortcall window. You are either on short call or long call. They can ask or offer premium pay but its not required. They can contact you near the end of the window with a trip leaving outside the window however that would apply only in a international situation.

Last edited by sailingfun; 10-11-2010 at 10:13 AM.