View Single Post
Old 10-11-2010, 03:41 PM
Hawaii50
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2008
Position: 757 Left

Originally Posted by NuGuy View Post
Agree. I don't have any exposure to the market at all. Cash is king, but cash isn't necessarily the dollar.

You may see some short term gain if the R's take congress.

Personally, I don't gamble on politics, and I don't see "potential gains unrealized" in the market as a loss.

My savings are all about "is the number of donuts I can buy the same, or less?". If the answer is less, that's bad. If the number is the same, then I am happy.

IMHO, If you are depending on gambling in the market for income, then it's just that...gambling, and you are probably living outside your means. If you are managing your 401K (or other vehicle) to keep pace with inflation, then you are probably OK.

Like you said, DYODD....

Nu
The thing is many of us that work at an airline need to do a lot better than just keep up with inflation if we want to retire with the QOL we planned when we were hired. Cash may be king but it ain't returning anything these days. The market has been really good the last couple years while those scared off by the last down turn sat on the sidelines.

There are plenty of opportunities in equities if you're willing to do the work and protect yourself on the downside. It is nice to see the naysayers though. If we were all jumping up and down then I'd be worried.